Sunday, 24 August 2014

First Week of the big KL

So Malaysia has been pretty cool so far! This first picture is of my legs in Dubai airport. I was happy and having fun, not knowing how shit I would feel from jetlag just 12 hours later. A fun fact about Dubai airport, I was dying for the loo, so went to the loo. It was filled to the brim with piss. I went to another cubicle. The same thing! I tried flushing it down but unfortunately it just refilled it to the brim with piss. I was very afraid but had to go for it. The worst bit was feeling the heat rising from the warm piss. (Sorry Mum, I know you're probably going to read this!)

At Dubai airport we randomly got bumped up to Business class for no reason. I'd only ever been on easyjet before, so Emirates Economy class had already blown my mind, but business class was so good, I just had to take some photos of it. 

They actually made some effort with the food! Was pretty nice!

This seat was the best thing ever. It went back into a bed if you wanted and I had an ipad next to me to control it with! I ended up putting on the noise cancelling headphones, the eye mask and falling asleep listening to Norah Jones like a proper lad.
I genuinely didn't think I was tired at this point but I think the photo tells a different story!

As a guy who's afraid of heights, I wasn't best pleased to hear we were on the 22nd floor of our hotel (we are staying here for 2 weeks whilst the school put on induction activities). I do have to say though that the view was beautiful and was especially cool watching the lightning during one of the frequent thunder storms!
Cheeky sunset!

One of the cool things about my new school is they took us out on a few trips to see KL. We were randomly having dinner in the Chinatown part of town when this big procession of people came down the street. In amongst the mentalness, I saw my first Chinese dragon! Then loads of people let off firecrackers which was pretty cool, but I don't really know what the point of this was. Made my sweet and sour chicken all the sweeter though!




On one of the days Han and I went to see what all the fuss was about with the Petronas towers. There are lots of big buildings here (so many hotels and condos) so I thought it wouldn't be very impressive. It was amazingly impressive. We had to travel back really far to photograph it and even then couldn't get it all in! We're going to wait until people come to visit to go up them but I cannot describe how big they are. They are bigger than anything I've ever seen in Somerset!
This is just me chilling by a fountain. I'm looking towards the Petronas towers.

 Another cool trip we went on with the school involved going out of KL. I really loved all the naturey stuff out there and this river was beautiful. We were eating in a restaurant that backed onto the river and I managed to catch these pictures of the sunset. As Malaysia is near the equator, the sun rises and sets really quick so it's all over quite fst. Very beautiful though! The restaurant was lush and I got to smash a crap claw with a hammer and ate some delicious fish!
After the meal, we went a few miles away (in the dark) to a place where we were taken our on little boats on a smaller river than this. When we got close, we could see some fireflies! It was awesome and one landed on Hannah. They were so small, at first we thought they were conning us with fairy lights, but then saw them moving around. We are going again in the half term and I'll try and get hold of a better camera to take some photos.

This is me in a chinese restaurant. Still looking pretty jetlagged. I had no idea how much jetlag takes it out of you. I was absolutely blazed for 4 days when I got here and nearly fainted in a train station! I was being a bit of an idiot and had gone to the gym 2 days in a row and was drinking my usual tiny amount of water. I soon realised that water was actually pretty important in a climate such as this so have been drinking loads of water ever since!


As part of one of the school trips, they took us to a monkey place. This wasn't a conservation area, just a random road up a hill. The monkeys were pretty laid back and climbing on people if they thought they had food! They had a really chilled out manner as you can see from these photos.


This guy here had a nice little surprise for me!

He obviously has no shame.

Just me being one of the monkeys! I managed to touch a few (they were quite soft!)


One of the things we learned was that when you put down a deposit for renting a house, this is all done in cash. As such Han and I have taken out around £2000 which is about 11,000RM. This was my wad full of 100s and I felt pretty rich!

A post about the first two weeks would not be complete without mentioning some of the food. At first it was all a bit bewildering and the fact that some places leave the bones in the chickens takes some getting used to! After I got used to it though, I got a bit more adventurous with my choices.

On the left is mango and salmon skin sushi and on the right is salmon, lobster and mayo sushi. The other picture is of me drinking some mango juice - it was lovely!

This place was awesome because we ordered a plate of food then when it came the guy blowtorched it! It caught fire for a little bit then when it calmed down we were able to eat it! On it was a flame grilled fish, fish bites, prawns, mussels, rice and veg. All for around a tenner!

 This badboy was like £6, and was a salmon set. We got teriyaki salmon, 7 bits of sushi, miso soup, salad, pickles, some disgusting looking mushroom broth (which went solid by the end of the meal) and watermelon for pudding. Very nice!


 So yeah, we went to dominoes, but I was glad to see they had slightly different pizzas out here. I went for this monstrous sounding badboy! As we walked into dominoes, I saw a cockroach crawling around on the floor. As I was pretty hungry, I didn't mention this to Han until after the meal.



 This is a little side street in Bukit Bintang which is quite a built up area. A few streets back though and you get a wonderful road full of street food. Han took a photo of me which looks down the street. It was really cool and I'd love to come back and try some more of the food!



Oh I totally forgot to mention, the reason I'm here is the teaching, so we got to look around our new school and although it's a bit building sighty in places, the resources are fantastic. Don't wanna put the name of it or website link here in case any of my blogs are anything less than professional but if you know me, you know where it is, check it out because it's amazing, hopefully I'm going to really enjoy teaching there!

This week we have been sorting things out, so Han and I now have OLD phones with Malaysian numbers. These phones still have polyphonic ringtones so are pretty funny and every now and then a torch light comes on and we don't know how to turn it off. Still, it was useful for contacting estate agents.

Which brings me onto the lush news. I can now safely say that we are moving in to our new apartment on Tuesday. The condo is called Verve Suites we are in the Vox building (Block D) in a Duo Centrix apartment. As it's only 6 months old, it looks exactly like the sales photo. The apartment is amazing, although that isn't the selling point. On the top floor of each block is something cool everyone can use for example there's a nice rooftop garden and pond on the top of Block C. On top of Block D is a beach!!!! They have put a beach on top of the building and shoved in an infinity pool on the 34th floor. As if that wasn't enough, there's also a jacuzzi there too somewhere. There's 2 gyms, numerous other pools, communal indoor and outdoor cinemas and even a grocery shop! I never thought I'd be able to live like this, but for the same money as I paid for a tiny 2 bedroom flat in Brighton, I get a beach on my roof. Life is pretty amazing at the moment!



 And finally... this is a little bit of bunny origami that was left on our bed by the maid. I think it sums up our experience of Malaysia so far. Everyone has been so helpful, polite and kind and I really look forward to finding out more about it as I live here over the next 2 years.


 Thanks for reading this, hopefully it wasn't dull!





No comments:

Post a Comment